Hilton Clean Air Program
Our mission is to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality and that starts with doing our part for a cleaner, healthier planet. Through the Hilton Clean Air Program in Asia Pacific, we aim to reduce the impact of meetings and events held at participating hotels in our region. Here is how it works.
You or your company holds an event or meeting with us.
We measure the carbon emissions based on the energy, food and event space you use...
...and purchase equivalent carbon credits from our partner, Climate Friendly
which are then used to fund climate-friendly projects in the region.
Hilton will purchase carbon credits on your behalf which will support projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Please select a region to learn about the organizations that benefit from the Hilton Clean Air Program, or click here to see the total environmental impact achieved as a result of the Clean Air Program.
- South Korea
Tasmanian Native Forest Protection Project
Location: Central Highlands, Tasmania, Australia
Emissions Prevented: 90,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. That's 176,529 light bulbs lit for 1 year.
Aim: This project minimises greenhouse gas emissions by preventing the release of carbon stored in the trees, which would otherwise occur through the logging, processing and use of the timber.
Benefits: Helps to protect and restore Tasmania’s valuable native forests, which provide a habitat for a number of endangered species including the wedge-tailed eagle, spotted quoll and the iconic Tasmanian devil.
Creates new employment opportunities in the forestry sector, and ecotourism opportunities through the enhancement of the landscape.
Provides income diversification and stabilisation for local landowners, thereby enabling them to set the land aside for conservation purposes only.Learn More
Yuxian Baiyantuo Wind Project
Location: Hebei Province, China
Emissions Prevented: 211,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. Thats 20,288 Economy class flights around the world.
Aim: Operates over 90 wind turbines that will deliver over 200,000 MWh of clean electricity to the North China Power Grid each year.
- Helps prevent hundreds of thousands of tons of greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere each year.
- Creates local employment, and delivers social and economic benefits to this remote area.
- Reduces the burning of fossil fuels, thereby reducing pollutants and improving air quality.
Tamil Nadu Wind Project
Location: Tamil Nadu State, India
Emissions Prevented: 70,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. Thats 15,572 Olympic swimming pools of CO2 gas.
Aim: Replaces non-renewable and pollutive energy sources such as coal, with a clean, 45 Turbine wind farm that will power the Southern Electricity Grid of India.
- Helps alleviate poverty by generating employment and contributing to the provision of basic amenities.
- Improves power supply for an area that often suffered from power deficits.
- Enables improvements to roads and other infrastructure in the area.
Musi Hydro Project
Location: Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
Emissions Prevented: 850,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. Thats 1.6 million light bulbs lit for a year.
Aim: Uses a run-of-river method to harness renewable energy and generate clean electricity.
- Exports over 1,140,000 MWh of clean energy to the grid to be used in and around the island
- Supports reforestation
- Supports the area’s healthcare facilities and transport infrastructure
Japanese Energy Efficiency Upgrade Projects
Location: Across Japan
Emissions Prevented: Tonnes of CO2e per year
Aim: Enables businesses across Japan to upgrade from less energy-efficient technologies to more efficient ones.
- Helps businesses that consume large amounts of energy to increase the efficiency of their energy usage, and contribute to a better climate.
The Borneo Rainforest Rehabilitation Project
Location: Sabah, Malaysia
Emissions Prevented: 140,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. Thats 13,462 Economy class flights around the world.
Aim: Protects and restores rainforests under threat from logging and plantation development.
- Rehabilitated over 25,000 hectares to date
- Grows the habitat area of over 400 species of plants and animals, including endangered orang-utans, pygmy elephants and the Sumatran rhinos.
- Supports employment of 50 full time local staff
Hyundai Cogeneration Project
Location: Dangjin, Republic of Korea
Emissions Prevented: 1.8 million tonnes of CO2e per year. Thats 400,418 Olympic swimming pools of CO2 gas.
Aim: Converts surplus waste gases at a local steel factory, to generate cleaner electricity.
- Prevents air pollution by using waste gas instead of releasing it.
- Generates cleaner electricity by recycling surplus waste gases.
Siam Cement Biomass Project
Emissions Prevented: 600,000 tonnes of CO2e per year. That's 1.1 million light bulbs lit for a year.
Aim: Converts five cement manufacturing plants to use renewable fuel instead of fossil fuels.
- Helps decrease human respiratory problems by minimizing the decay of rice husks which in turn releases methane.
- Creates local jobs and supplementary income for farmers.
- Creates supply chains and manufacturing processes for renewable biomass fuels.
Song Ong Small Hydro Project
Location: Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam
Emissions Prevented: 21,500 tonnes of CO2e per year. That's 2,067 Economy class flights around the world.
Aim: Accelerates the use of renewable energy in Vietnam.
- New line built accelerates the uptake of renewable energy in Vietnam to meet rapidly growing demand
- Communications and water treatment systems for the project will be shared with locals.
- Improves local infrastructure and opportunities by creating new jobs, enhanced quality of life, and a more secure economic future.
For an environmentally friendly proposal, contact one of our participating hotels or contact our international Sales
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the Hilton Clean Air Program?
The Hilton Clean Air Program aims to reduce the environmental impact of meetings and events held at more than 90 participating Hilton properties in Asia Pacific. We use our LightStay system to calculate the carbon emissions generated by all meetings and events and purchase carbon credits to offset these. The credits fund different projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The program provides organizations and individuals an opportunity to support environmentally-conscious projects in this region, at no additional cost. The program supports Hilton corporate responsibility strategy, Travel with Purpose, to provide shared value to its business and communities. Visit cr.hiltonworldwide.com to learn more.
How does the Program work?
When organisations or individuals hold any meeting or event at participating Hilton properties in Asia Pacific, we measure the carbon emissions generated as a result of the meeting or event, then purchase carbon credits on your behalf, at no extra cost to you. This funds climate-friendly projects in the region that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Who is Hilton partnering with for this program?
Hilton is partnering with Climate Friendly. Climate Friendly specialises in carbon management solutions and supports a range of renewable energy, improved forest management and energy efficiency projects around the world.